Pilates is a unique system of stretching and strengthening exercises that was developed by Joseph H. Pilates. One of the early uses of his method was as a rehabilitation program for prisoners of war and was later found to be of great benefit to anyone seeking a higher level of fitness. Through regular practice of these exercises, one can strengthen and elongate the postural muscles as well as the limbs. If looking for a strong, but lean physique, this system is ideal.
Through specific principles of anatomical movement and their corresponding physiologic responses, the body is re-trained to work efficiently and in balance. Pilates is performed using precise postures and exercises both on the floor (Mat) and on specialized pieces of equipment, the most popular being the Reformer.
Core strength, spinal stability, and mobility, along with the six Pilates principles, set the Pilates method apart from many other types of exercise.
Benefits of Pilates
Learning Pilates is a process and can take time to maximize benefits, however, some participants insist they feel some benefits almost immediately. Pilates is for anybody…athletes, seniors, expecting mothers, individuals at various stages of rehabilitation, as well as any individual looking for a stronger, leaner, and more flexible physique.
- Strengthens muscles of the core as well as the rest of the body
- Increased flexibility and range of motion
- Prevention of injury and help for back pain
- Improved posture and self-image
- Enhanced breathing
- Correction of muscular imbalances
- Increased circulation
- Improved stability, coordination, grace, and agility
- Spinal column lengthened and decompressed
- Stress reduction
- Enhanced athletic performance
- Relieve (even chronic) Pain
Ready to get started? Schedule a consultation today.